Our boats
Our Festival wouldn’t be the same without the spectacular boats who visit. We invite scores of historic vessels to fill the harbour, re-creating the sights, smells and flavour of what was once an important, vibrant fishing port. Traditional wooden vessels, (from Brittany to Falmouth) are rigged with spars and tan sails and line the harbour wall. They then set out for an impressive parade of sail over the three days, a sight that stirs the heart of even the most hardened land lubber.

Boat Owners – if you would like to visit us in 2018 please send us your details using this form. Please give us details of your boat including dimensions and the type of berthing required. Please let us know about any special requirements your boat may have and preferably include a phone number we can get you on too.

Select to see if you want to see the boats who have confirmed for this year, or last year’s vessels.

This year's boats

Abel Dro

Abel Dro is an Ilur design by François Vivier – based closely on traditional Breton inshore fishing boats. The plans were originally produced for the magazine Le Chasse-Marée in the 1980s, as a boat for home building. Since then she has become the most popular of Vivier’s designs. Avel Dro is Breton and means wind shift. She was professionally built in Cancale, Brittany by Les Charpentiers Reunis in 1994. Roger Barnes has owned her since 2004 and uses her extensively for sail and oar cruising along the French and UK coasts, sleeping aboard under canvas.

Agnes

Agnes is a Pilot Cutter built by Luke Powell. After extensive research, Luke built her to the lines of the original 1841 Agnes, the leading Pilot Cutter from the Isles of Scilly. Her dimensions are 46ft on deck, 13ft 3in beam, 8ft 6in draft and a displacement of 26 tons. The original Agnes had a long working life, ending her days as the last Cutter to work out of the islands, under Captain Stephen Jenkins, whose grandsons Alf and Harry helped launch the new boat in 2003. She is based in Cornwall, under the ownership of Working Sail and run as a charter vessel by Luke and Joanna Powell. Her usual sailing grounds are around the Celtic shores of Cornwall, Brittany and Southern Ireland, showing people the pleasure of traditional sailing and giving them a real taste of life afloat.

See website

Alva

Built by Ben Harris & Co at Restronguet, Cornwall, she was launched in 2011. Alva is a 30ft Gaff cutter yacht, designed by Paul Gartside along the lines of the later Falmouth Quay Punts. She is fast, seaworthy and immensely strong, with full headroom and accommodation for three adults and two children. Construction is larch on laminated pitch pine and steamed oak frames. Cedar decks, cabin-sides and capping rail are iroko, cockpit and trim are teak, pitch pine interior and bronze and copper fastened throughout. Having had a grounding on the reef at Trefusis in Falmouth during a storm, she has recently undergone repairs to her frames and planking and has now been refitted with a new interior. She looks spectacular.

Amelie Rose

Amelie Rose is a replica of a 19th Century wooden Pilot Cutter and was launched in 2009. She is licensed to carry up to 10 passengers. Built by Working Sail in Cornwall using traditional methods, she has worked as a successful holiday and training charter vessel and in 2012 starred in “The Hungry Sailors” on ITV. She is based on the Beaulieu River in the heart of the New Forest and sails the English Channel, from the Solent to the Isles of Scilly, Channel Islands and Brittany.

This year Amelie Rose is being used as a project to tackle sea plastic pollution. This is a fantastic non-profit project. For more information and to support the team, take a look at www.cleanseasodyssey.org. Nick and Rebecca say ‘We started on June 2nd and are sailing Amelie Rose with a volunteer crew anti-clockwise around the channel. On the way we visit ports, harbours and festivals to meet with local people, do some beach cleans and film stories about plastic pollution in the area and what local people are doing about it. The project is about raising awareness that plastic pollution in the sea is not just a problem in far away oceans but also in our own seas. Findings are all published.

At Sea Salts, Amelie Rose and her crew will welcome folk aboard so they can look around the exhibits and information boards and chat about the real threat of plastic pollution.

See website

Amokura

Amokura was built in 1939 for Major (later Sir Ernest) Harston, ADC to Lord Mountbatten. Renowned designer Fred Shepherd designed her and supervised the build, which took place at the yard of AH Moody & Sons Ltd, at Swanwick in Hampshire. She was later owned by the author George Millar, who wrote extensively about her in his book Oyster River, describing a summer spent cruising the Gulf of Morbihan in the early 1960s. Amokura was later sold to Richard Carr, of the Carr biscuit family, who re-rigged her then sailed her extensively in the Mediterranean through most of the 1970s. In 1980 she was returned to Moody’s yard and her interior was stripped out to enable the structural beams to be reinforced and refastened. A new interior was installed under the direction of designer John Mumford and following her relaunch, Amokura was sailed to the Caribbean, the US East Coast and the Mediterranean. She is now based in Falmouth.

Barnabas

Barnabas is a 40ft St Ives Mackerel Driver built in 1881. She is one of the few survivors from St. Ives, of the thousand strong fleet of Lug Rigged drift net fishing boats, registered at Cornish Ports at the turn of the 19th century. Her layout and shape remain much as the original. There’s not much space below deck, no sink or shower, a twin-meths hob and the sleeping quarters are tight! There is, however, a small wood burner and a toilet. The boat is owned and lovingly sailed by the Cornish Maritime Trust. In 2015, she successfully circumnavigated the UK with crew changes nearly every week of the journey – an incredible feat. She attends all the local festivals, as well as several in Brittany.

See website

Bounty’s End

It would go down in history as the Mutiny on the Bounty. In short, Captain Bligh and a handful of loyal men were forced into a tiny open boat and left to die. Instead, they managed to navigate 4000 mies to safety, through some of the world’s most remote and unforgiving seas. This remains one of the greatest survival feats in British history. Setting out to recreate the passage, a crew of nine men made the journey in a replica open 23ft wooden boat, built in Richmond, London by Mark Edwards MBE. Using traditional navigation and surviving off the same meagre rations as Bligh, the men were cast adrift 35 miles to the south of Tofua, near the Kingdom of Tonga. Their mission, to survive and safely navigate across 4000 miles of open ocean to Kupang, Timor. The group were led by Anthony Middleton, SAS Who Dares Wins frontman. However, British yachtsman, Conrad Humphreys, who has circumnavigated the world three times, was the Sailing Master of Bounty’s End. They all faced a never-ending struggle, where extreme hunger, fatigue, illness, conflict and stormy seas threatened to engulf their tiny boat and end their hopes of reaching Timor safely. The Bounty Project is now an exciting and inspiring collaboration between Conrad and The Island Trust, to support young and disadvantaged people with life changing voyages at sea.

See website

Burgundy

Burgundy is a Nicholson 26ft South Coast One Design, built in 1956. She’s a sloop with a fractional rig. She won all three races in the 2014 Sea Salt and Sail’s under 26 foot event and was awarded the Low Lee Trophy. Owned by Andy Tanner, she’s based in Newlyn, though had a little mishap with her mast this winter (it snapped!). Fingers crossed, she’ll be ready for the summer.

Caupona

Caupona was launched in 1939 and is one of the early pre-war Laurent Giles Vertue designs, the 8th boat of only a handful built to this design. She is currently based in Dartmouth and owned by Richard Gregson. The design proved so successful that they altered it slightly with increased freeboard and a doghouse, to give more interior space and volume. Examples of these Vertues have circumnavigated the globe, one of the most well known Vertues, V35, was sailed across the Atlantic from Falmouth to New York by Sir Humphrey Barton, founder of the Ocean Cruising Club.  They have an unusual ‘slutter’ rig, a combination of sloop and cutter, which gives numerous sail combinations for different weather conditions.

Donna Capel

Originally named Françoise Helene, Donna Capel has a fascinating history. She was constructed under German licence in Ostende, Belgium, during 1943/44. The oak was pre-war timber, originally destined for a boat about 90ft in length. This explains why, at 52ft, she is so heavily timbered. She was the last of the sailing trawlers built that worked out of Ostende during the war. Though, the first to be fitted with an inboard engine. Fished off the Belgian coast until the late 1950s, the record fish caught on one trip was 22 tons. She was then bought by Mousehole’s Howard Capel and towed by trawler from Belguim to Brixham. Here she was renamed Donna Capel after his wife and given the new registration number BM142. Mr Capel used the boat for trawling until 1970, when Terry Heard (Gaffers and Luggers) purchased her in Newlyn and took her to Mylor Bridge. Terry passed away before he was able to restore her, though she was restored by Martin Heard and managed Brest and Douarnenez in 1992. She was then bought by John Davison in 2000. With a strong-back and tarpaulins laid on, she spent the next six years untouched at Mylor Bridge. From 2006 to 2009, she was rebuilt and now sails as a stunning 16 meter Gaff Ketch, with 4 meter beam, 2 meter draft and is 40 tonnes in weight. She’s now based in Falmouth.

See website

Drekly

Drekly is a 16ft Randan Pilot gig. Built somewhere in Cornwall about 100 years ago, she was bought by Mark Edwards on Turks internet auction 8 years ago and fully restored. Drekley is now used as the workboat and general hire boat at on the River Thames, Richmond, London. She has been to SSS many times before and has been rowed in the Great Thames River Race by a group of guys from Mousehole. She’s now fitted with mast sail and sculling notch.

Edith

Edith is a 24ft Polperro Gaffer and dates back to the 1890s. She has documented history of registration in 1909, as FY92 in the fishing port of Polperro. There she was owned by William Curtis (whose daughter was called Edith). In 1923 she was sold ‘for private purposes’ and purchased by Charlie Ferris in St Mawes. His family owned her until the late 1980s when she was purchased by Richard Toyne. The Toyne family, along with Falmouth shipwright ‘Minty’ Murray, restored her. She was sold on to the Clark family on the River Exe and returned to Falmouth waters when Bill Rogers owned her and fished her for oysters. Mal Stone purchased her in 2007 and is still the current owner.

Ellen

Ellen, a 17ft Gorran Haven Crabber was built in 1882 by Dick Pill for the Willmott Family. She has a beam of 6ft and a 2’6” draft and is reputed to be the fastest Gorran Haven Crabber ever built. Her lines and Spritsail Rig are specific to Gorran Haven. By 1900, she was being fished by the Billings brothers, Dick and Andrew, who moved her to Flushing as there were too many Crabbers in Gorran Haven! She’s now permanently based in Mousehole and sailed by Cornish Maritime Trust members.

See website

Enterprise

Beer Lugger, mahogany on oak. Built 2003. 1956 Stuart Turner 1.5hp inboard engine

Girl Sybil

(PZ 595) was built in Porthleven in 1912 by the boat building firm of Kitto. She is 35ft, plus an eighteen foot bow spirit. Originally named the Patricia, she worked out of Newlyn as a pilchard driver. Originally a sailing boat, later motorised with wheelhouse added. Early skipper was Bob Vingoe (GH). The Patricia would have been renamed Girl Sybil when the boat was acquired by the Vingoe family of Newlyn. The owner named the boat for his daughter. His daughter was the manageress of the Stevenson Grocery shop in the Strand and later married Arthur Gribble. She acquired the boat on the death of her father in the mid 1930s. He died on the boat at sea. The boat was then sold to the Stevensons who retained the name and continued to work her as a pilchard driver throughout the war years. The fishing boat PZ 476 Margaret was towed in by Joe Carr, her engines caught fire at Lamorna in 1940, the crew were saved. Billy Stevenson joined her crew when he left school in 1943, aged 15, when the boat was engaged in pilchard fishing. Bobby Jewell worked on the boat at one time, fishing for pilchards. She is now owned by Louis Goddard.

Gladys

Gladys was built in Peel on the Isle of Man in 1901. She is 40 foot long with a draft of 5.5 feet and a beam of 11.5 feet. She was originally built for the herring trade and had a standing lug rig. These boats were called Nobbys locally. Since a rebuild around four years ago, she now has a dipping lug rig, more like the Nickys of the same area. Based in Penryn, she’s fast and graceful and owned by Charlotte Whyte. Gladys is still engineless.

Guide Me

Built in 1911 by Peter Ferris of Looe for Mr. W Pengelly, she started life as a pilchard driver and long liner and fished out of various East Cornwall harbours. She was sold in 1966, re-named Guidez Moi (FY233) and then ended up in the Channel Islands, later to Portsmouth. Jono and Jude Brickhill purchased her in 1977. During the full restoration, they found her christened name Guide Me, carved into the original bulwark. She is now based in Gweek, Cornwall. This twin-masted Dipping Lugger is in a league of her own and powered entirely by wind (or oars!). She’s 40ft in length, though overall 72ft, with a 12’10” beam and 5’10” draft. Being a very fast sailing vessel, carrying ample sail, she’s generally out front in most of the classic races. Some might say this is down to precision tactics of the skipper and crew! In 1988, the Brickhills, including four children sailed via Douarnenez Festival to Spain, Portugal, Tenerife, La Palma and then on to Brazil. They returned via Cape Town in South Africa and then later back to America.

Happy Return

Happy Return is an original 40ft Cornish Lugger built at Kitto’s Yard, Porthleven in 1904. She was the oldest registered fishing boat when the owner decided to decommission her in 1998. The Mounts Bay Lugger Association have totally retored her and regulary sail in Mounts Bay and to local festivals.

See website

Holly Mae

Holly Mae is a 35 foot gaff cutter, traditionally built by Joff Rorke of larch planking on oak frames. The design is inspired by the West Country work boats of around 100 years ago, though there are influences of Falmouth Working boats, Falmouth Quay punts and Pilot Cutters. The hull is deep, like a quay punt but she’s cutter rigged, more like a working boat or pilot cutter. She was built in Gulval and launched at the bottom of the hill in Penzance in 2010. Since then, Holly Mae has crossed the Atlantic, spending a winter in the West Indies and the last two years exploring the Baltic.

Island Swift

Island Swift is a 35ft Gaff Cutter (Wylo II), designed and built in 1996 by Nick Skeates and John Richardson. She’s one of the few examples of a modern Gaff Rigged cruiser, designed to sail around the world. She is easy to manage, safe as well as beautiful and purchased in 2013 by Simon and JoJo of Penzance. Since September 2014 the family (including two teenagers) sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to the Caribbean, via Portugal, Spain, Maderia, Canaries and Cape Verde. They made it back for 2016 Sea Salts! JoJo comments, ‘she’s a low tec boat, we do not have a fridge, radar, chart plotter or shower and we love using our lead line, Walker’s log and sextant’. When not saiing, they run Bash Street Theatre.

See website

Julitta

Julitta is a Pooduck skiff class lugsail dinghy, designed by Joel White and based on a workboat from Maine, USA. She is plywood and epoxy construction and was built at Totnes in 1993. Her specs are 12’8’’ LOA, 4’5’’ beam, 8’’ draft and a 84 sq ft sail area. She’s owned by John Scott.

Lassie of Chester

Lassie of Chester is a 36ft Morcombe Bay Prawner, built by Crossfields in Conway in 1937. She is one of the last “Nobbies” to be built in this yard and fished the Dee during WW II and later in Fleetwood. In the 80’s she was left in the mud but was then restored by Scott Metcaff in Port Penthyn, Bangor. She has had periodic refurbishment, latterly be the present owners. She has sailed extensively, taking part in Classic Boat events in Britain and France. The present owner is Arian Farey of Abergele, Conway, North Wales. Lassie appears in the list of Historic Boats.

Le Grand Léjon

Le Grand Léjon is based in the port of St Brieuc in Brittany, France. She is a 48 footer, with a Breton Standing Lug rig and built in 1991 by Yvon Clochet of Beg Melen, River Treguier. She’s an exact replica of the 1896 vessel, La Jeanne d’Arc and in 1992, won the top award at the Brest and Douarnenez Festivals as the most authentically reconstructed vessel. She’s now used for charter and educational cruises.

Luke’s Minnie

Minnie was built on Channel Pilot Cutter lines by Luke of the Hamble in 1893. Originally a gentleman’s yacht, she spent most of her life in the English Channel but for one period of over 20 years based in Belfast around WW2. In the 70s, she cruised around Europe and the Caribbean, before arriving in the USA in 1982. She crossed the Atlantic in 17 days. Under sail she is very comfortable and as safe as one would expect with ten tons of displacement. She has a good turn of speed and has achieved first and second places in the Round the Island Race (Cowes) in the early 1990s.

See website

Maggie

Maggie is a 30 ft Polperro Gaffer, built in Looe in 1908 by Ferris for the Searle Family. She was later fished by Wren Jolliff who was the Great Grandfather of the present owner. Dave Cowan found her in Hey Bridge basin and she is now back after a 70 year absence.

Maia

Maia is a St Ives Sailing Punt. She was built by Jonny Nance in 2015 and is traditionally constructed with an oak keel and structural members and Douglas Fir clinker planking. She has no centre board or dagger board and relies on her hull shape and shallow full length keel to sail to windward. She has a standing lug rig on an unstayed mast. Her overall lines were developed from those taken off one of the last St Ives punts in 1975. She is 11 ft 6in long and draws 1 ft. She is owned by Scott and Tom Bowring and is kept on a running mooring in St Ives harbour.

See website

Mizpha

Mizpha was built by Gary Mitchell of Percy Mitchell & sons in 1981. She is 20 ft 7’ and constructed with larch on oak. She has a standing lug mainsail, a lug mizzen and jib and is freestanding with legs.

Molly Oxford

Molly Oxford is a Heard 28’ Gaff Cutter from Gaffers & Luggers Mylor and completed by Robertsons of Woodbridge in 1989. The current owner is Chris Lane, who was brought up in Penzance and now sails out of Chichester Harbour in West Sussex.  Molly Oxford participated in the Falmouth Classics and the Brest & Douarnenez Festivals in 2016.

Norwegian Girl

Norwegian Girl was built in Devoran in 1982 and was originally a Bermudan sloop with a metal mast. She featured in PBO in 1984 as a ‘progressive day sailer’. Also the first of class built. The second owner converted her to a gaff rigged cutter with a short bowsprit and all wood spars. Little is known after that until the present owner saw her in Mylor boatyard full of water with a completely seized Dolphin inboard, laying under the water. This was 1996. She was then restored and re-engined with a Bukh 10hp diesel. A new suit of sails in 2009 and an extended bowsprit brought her to her present configuration. The hull is a Skanner 19 much modified. She has been trailed to the maritime festival in Brest in 2013 and La Sumaine du Golfe du Morbihan twice. She is now based in Weymouth.

Our Boys

Our Boys is a 42′ dipping lugger, built in Looe in 1904 by Dick Pearce for the Woodrow Pengelly family. Named ‘Our Boys’ after the first owner’s seven sons, she was involved in commercial drift-net fishing for pilchards and mackerel from Looe, until decommissioned in 1978. In the 1960s, she was skippered by Bill Pengelly, one of only five motorised former luggers still working from Looe. The others were Our Daddy, Guide Me, Iris and Eileen. In 1980 she was restored to a yacht with dipping lug rig and then used as a leisure yacht with some chartering on the Solent and West Country. In 1991, she was found on the Isle of Wight and restored by George and Sue Dart from Seaton, Devon. Here, she was used for private cruises from Axmouth. Mike Cotton then brought her back to Looe in 1999, where she was then owned by Paul and Maggie Greenwood who returned her to the traditional Looe colours in 2002. In 2009 she was awarded a sustainability grant from National Historic Ships, towards a new engine when she was based in Milford Haven and has undergone considerable restoration since then. She is now owned by Phil Cogdell and based in Weir Quay, Devon.

Our Daddy

Our Daddy is a 45ft Lugger (75′ with bowsprit and bumpkin) and carries 2,500 sq feet of sail. Built for (£435) in Looe in 1921 by Dick Pearce for the J E Pengelly family, she was skippered by their son Alfred John. She fished for some 65 years in the pilchard, mackerel and later shark fishing industries. She was the last sailing Lugger to work out of Looe and was then owned by Mike Darlington and Stuart Murray. Mike, who fished on the boat with the legendary Alfred John Pengelly said: `A J told me: “One day, she will be yours.” But he forget to say it would take 21 years…’ Our Daddy has been re-built as a stunning classic with a Dandy Rig and since 2014, owned by Steve Styles and Tim Sunderland. She will once again be working as a traditional charter vessel along the South West Coast and across to France, visiting many of the festivals en route.

See website

Our Kate

Our Kate is a graceful 18ft Gaff Rigged Pilot Cutter, built in Salcombe, Devon by Edgar Cove in 1910. She has been owned by the Tyler family for over 40 years and is sailed from Mousehole.

Penrosa

Penrosa was built in 1963 at Fairey Marine, Hamble. She is a 28ft Sloop Rigged motosailor and made from hot moulded Agba (mahogany) on pitch pine frames. Her owner Andy Wheeler keeps her in Penzance.

Pomona

Pomona is 27 ft Bermudan sloop, with 5.5 ft draft and a long keel with no legs. She is built from mahogany on oak in 1956 and designed by Collin Cowan, who worked in the Laurent Giles office. Her last owner circumnavigated the world and made 5 Atlantic crossings in her. Now that’s a talking point for a small vessel. She is now owned by Danny Rocca.

Prudence

Prudence is a Percy Dalton designed hard chinned steel gaff cutter. She is loosely designed around a Falmouth Working Boat, currently moored in Penryn and owned by Sam Coltman. She has a long keel with no legs.

Reliance

Reliance is a 40′ dipping lugger built in 1903 by Dick Peal of Gorren Haven, for the Longmail family of Mevagissey. She has a beam of 11′ 6″ and draft of 5′ 6″. She is owned by Graham Butler and her home port is now Cawsand. Rescued in 1998 by Duncan Russell and then fully restored between 2014 to 2018 by the current owner, Sea Salts and Sail will be her first long cruise.

Ripple

Ripple was built in St Ives by Henry Trevorrow and registered as SS19 in 1896. For 25 years until 1933, she was used for fishing under the ownership of the Barber family. Her skippers were William and his brother Matthew. She was originally propelled by sail, with two lugsails carried on two masts. In 1915 this was boosted by the installation of a 16 hp port wing engine. She has recently undergone a complete renovation by the present owner John Lambourn and is seen regularly sailing in the Bay.

Rose of Argyll

Rose is newer than many luggers, though probably does the most sea miles than many combined. She was clinker built in Scotland and not in Cornwall. Her specific type is a Loch Fyne skiff and a replica of a herring boat from the early twentieth century. First sailed as a yacht, she was then abandoned in a garden in the Gulf of Morbihan in 1990. She was bought and restored and relaunched in 2009. Owned by Benoit and Elise, her home port is Lannilis, Aber wrach. The boat is skillfully handled under sail (as she’s engineless) and port manoeuvres are carried out by rowing and sculling.

Sea Urchin

Sea Urchin is a smaller version of the Ellen, a Gorran Haven Crabber and built by Percy Mitchell in Mevagissey (or Portmellon) around 1936. Sea Urchin has a Spritsail rig, similar to the Thames Barge. It’s an unusual rig for this style of boat, but fantastic for down and up wind sailing. Importantly, there’s no boom so perfect for kids. Also of interest, is the Ganderfied fore sails, as she’s now a cutter with two jibs and small bowspirit. She is owned by Richard Biker and sailed from Mousehole.

Snowdrop

Snowdrop is a tough little 22 foot Deben Four Tonner from the early 1930’s. With a beam of 8ft, a draft of 5ft and a 9ft bowspirit, she’s a beautifully balanced boat that sails around Mounts Bay for most of the year. Winning Sea Salts and Sail’s U23 foot class in 2014 and runner up in 2016, she’s now owned by Geoff May and sails out of Newlyn.

St Ives Sculling Punts

The St Ives based Jumbo Association are providing two identical traditional punts on Saturday, for our inter-crew team challenge. Members of the public can join in, however, we’d like names / teams before the event. The latest details will be on the web site in due course! Contestant will scully from the South beach, around a buoy in the harbour, before returning to leap ashore whilst team members spun the punt about. The next contestant will then scramble aboard whilst the punt is shoved off by the whole team for the next leg. It’s extremely competative… and will work up a sweat. And that’s just for those watching!

See website

Sula

Sula is a Western Highland skiff built in larch on oak by Sandy McDonald in Ardnamurchan, Scotland in 1993.  She also won the ‘Classic Boat’ amateur boat building competition at the Wooden Boat Show in 1993. She’s 11’3’’ long and owned by John Scott.

Trooper

Trooper is a 9 ton Bermudan Cutter, canoe stern and centre cockpit constructed in wood in 1959 by David Hillyard of Littlehampton.  David Hillyard made his name boat building affordable wooden boats in between the 1920s and early 1970s.  The 9 ton series was his most popular and Trooper was built in the heyday of the yard.  Hillyards are known for their solid construction but not for their speed.  She has a new rig designed in 2005 by the renowned marine architect Ed Burnett and sails beautifully.  She is owned locally by the Guys and is used for local Helford cruising with all the family aboard.

Twilight

Twilight was built as a motor boat by H J Mean & Son at Axmouth, Devon in 1973/4 and later converted into a Beer Lugger in 2005/6 by the present owner Alan Abbott. She regularly sails in the Beer Lugger Club Races, Beer Regatta, the Biennial Looe Lugger Festival as well as Sea Salts and Sail Festival. She’s a hard boat to beat!

Unity

‘Unity’ is a new 40 foot workboat-style gaff rigged cutter, designed by Jon Bray and built by West Country Cutters. Her hull is based on a Mevagissey Lugger. She was launched in 2016 and turned heads at her first festival, Sea Salts and Sail, followed immediately by Brest and Douarnenez. She’s as traditional as it gets: larch on sawn-oak frames, copper and bronze-fastened, including a delightful wood burning stove, plus she’s clean, spacious and has a very practical interior. She’s fast, looks stylish under full sail and through simply rigging, can be sailed by two.

Veracity

Veracity is a stylish 32 ft dipping Lugger, built by Marcus Rowden in 2004. She is now owned by Holly Latham.

William Paynter

The Jumbos were a small class of open, double-ended luggers introduced exclusively to St.Ives during the mid 1880’s. The modern Jumbos are replicas of some of the smallest (20ft 6ins LOA) designed by the renowned boatbuilder, William Paynter. Although rigged in the same way, Jumbos were significantly smaller than the other luggers which earned them their ironic nickname. With all the characteristics of the dipping lug rig in an easily manageable form, the Jumbo is an ideal boat on which to learn.The replicas were researched and built by Jonny Nance in order to encourage the community of St.Ives to engage with the sea and each other and even kindle a sense of pride in the town’s almost-forgotten maritime heritage. The idea caught the public imagination and took off. Today’s Jumbos are operated by the St.Ives Jumbo Association – a charity of some 450 members. For more info see www.jonnynance.com

See website

Winnie

Winnie was built in 1897, a 28ft Falmouth Working Boat and owned by Arthur Williams. We’re delighted to see her return (enginless (ish!) to this side of the Lizard for she’s an impressive sight under full sail. In a close hauled contest, there are few who cannot be inspired by the beauty of these powerful Gaff Rigged Cutters. Outwardly, little has changed in nearly 200 years for the FWB, which under the laws of local harbour byelaws, prohibits the dredging of oysters by any mechanical means.

Wylo II

Wylo II is owned by Nick Skeates of Warminster and is a 32ft Centreboard Gaff Cutter. She was built in New Zealand in 1980 to the owners design. She has a steel hull, wood deck and has now circumnavigated 3 times, via the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans, Panama Canal, New Zealand and South Africa. Nick is a fantastic character full of soul, wisdom and experience. An honour to have him here.

Zephon

Zephon was designed by Harrison Butler and built by the Probert Brothers, Swansea. The build started before WWII but as with many boats, this was put on hold during the war years and she was completed and launched in 1950. Until the late 1960’s she was owned by Mr D.G. Probert of Milford Haven. She is sail No. Z278. She is one of only 10 Zyklon class boats built as opposed to 52 of the Z4 Tonners. Her hull (pitched pine on bent oak) is to the standard Z4 design but she has raised topsides which hugely increases the interior volume of the boat. This alteration was designed by Cpt O.M. Watts and proved to be very effective. Sailed by Giles Gilbert (the present owner) from the Shetland Islands to Cornwall in 2016, since then she has been sailed around the Cornish coast and out to the Isles of Scilly. Currently sailed without an engine.

Sea Salts and Sail