Our boats
Our Festival wouldn’t be the same without the spectacular boats who visit. We invite scores of historic vessels to fill the harbour, re-creating the sights, smells and flavour of what was once an important, vibrant fishing port. Traditional wooden vessels, (from Brittany to Falmouth) are rigged with spars and tan sails and line the harbour wall. They then set out for an impressive parade of sail over the three days, a sight that stirs the heart of even the most hardened land lubber.

Boat Owners – if you would like to visit us in 2018 please send us your details using this form. Please give us details of your boat including dimensions and the type of berthing required. Please let us know about any special requirements your boat may have and preferably include a phone number we can get you on too.

Select to see if you want to see the boats who have confirmed for this year, or last year’s vessels.

Previous years' boats

Abel Dro

Abel Dro is an Ilur design by François Vivier – based closely on traditional Breton inshore fishing boats. The plans were originally produced for the magazine Le Chasse-Marée in the 1980s, as a boat for home building. Since then she has become the most popular of Vivier’s designs. Avel Dro is Breton and means wind shift. She was professionally built in Cancale, Brittany by Les Charpentiers Reunis in 1994. Roger Barnes has owned her since 2004 and uses her extensively for sail and oar cruising along the French and UK coasts, sleeping aboard under canvas.

See website

Agnes

Agnes is a Pilot Cutter built by Luke Powell. After extensive research, Luke built her to the lines of the original 1841 Agnes, the leading Pilot Cutter from the Isles of Scilly. Her dimensions are 46ft on deck, 13ft 3in beam, 8ft 6in draft and a displacement of 26 tons. The original Agnes had a long working life, ending her days as the last Cutter to work out of the islands, under Captain Stephen Jenkins, whose grandsons Alf and Harry helped launch the new boat in 2003. She is based in Cornwall, under the ownership of Working Sail and run as a charter vessel by Luke and Joanna Powell. Her usual sailing grounds are around the Celtic shores of Cornwall, Brittany and Southern Ireland, showing people the pleasure of traditional sailing and giving them a real taste of life afloat.

See website

Alva

Built by Ben Harris & Co at Restronguet, Cornwall, she was launched in 2011. Alva is a 30ft Gaff cutter yacht, designed by Paul Gartside along the lines of the later Falmouth Quay Punts. She is fast, seaworthy and immensely strong, with full headroom and accommodation for three adults and two children. Construction is larch on laminated pitch pine and steamed oak frames. Cedar decks, cabin-sides and capping rail are iroko, cockpit and trim are teak, pitch pine interior and bronze and copper fastened throughout. Having had a grounding on the reef at Trefusis in Falmouth during a storm, she has recently undergone repairs to her frames and planking and has now been refitted with a new interior. She looks spectacular.

See website

Amelie Rose

Amelie Rose is a replica of a 19th Century wooden Pilot Cutter and was launched in 2009. She is licensed to carry up to 10 passengers. Built by Working Sail in Cornwall using traditional methods, she has worked as a successful holiday and training charter vessel and in 2012 starred in “The Hungry Sailors” on ITV. She is based on the Beaulieu River in the heart of the New Forest and sails the English Channel, from the Solent to the Isles of Scilly, Channel Islands and Brittany.

This year Amelie Rose is being used as a project to tackle sea plastic pollution. This is a fantastic non-profit project. For more information and to support the team, take a look at www.cleanseasodyssey.org. Nick and Rebecca say ‘We started on June 2nd and are sailing Amelie Rose with a volunteer crew anti-clockwise around the channel. On the way we visit ports, harbours and festivals to meet with local people, do some beach cleans and film stories about plastic pollution in the area and what local people are doing about it. The project is about raising awareness that plastic pollution in the sea is not just a problem in far away oceans but also in our own seas. Findings are all published.

At Sea Salts, Amelie Rose and her crew will welcome folk aboard so they can look around the exhibits and information boards and chat about the real threat of plastic pollution.

See website

Amokura

Amokura was built in 1939 for Major (later Sir Ernest) Harston, ADC to Lord Mountbatten. Renowned designer Fred Shepherd designed her and supervised the build, which took place at the yard of AH Moody & Sons Ltd, at Swanwick in Hampshire. She was later owned by the author George Millar, who wrote extensively about her in his book Oyster River, describing a summer spent cruising the Gulf of Morbihan in the early 1960s. Amokura was later sold to Richard Carr, of the Carr biscuit family, who re-rigged her then sailed her extensively in the Mediterranean through most of the 1970s. In 1980 she was returned to Moody’s yard and her interior was stripped out to enable the structural beams to be reinforced and refastened. A new interior was installed under the direction of designer John Mumford and following her relaunch, Amokura was sailed to the Caribbean, the US East Coast and the Mediterranean. She is now based in Falmouth.

See website

Barnabas

Barnabas is a 40ft St Ives Mackerel Driver built in 1881. She is one of the few survivors from St. Ives, of the thousand strong fleet of Lug Rigged drift net fishing boats, registered at Cornish Ports at the turn of the 19th century. Her layout and shape remain much as the original. There’s not much space below deck, no sink or shower, a twin-meths hob and the sleeping quarters are tight! There is, however, a small wood burner and a toilet. The boat is owned and lovingly sailed by the Cornish Maritime Trust. In 2015, she successfully circumnavigated the UK with crew changes nearly every week of the journey – an incredible feat. She attends all the local festivals, as well as several in Brittany.

See website

Bounty’s End

It would go down in history as the Mutiny on the Bounty. In short, Captain Bligh and a handful of loyal men were forced into a tiny open boat and left to die. Instead, they managed to navigate 4000 mies to safety, through some of the world’s most remote and unforgiving seas. This remains one of the greatest survival feats in British history. Setting out to recreate the passage, a crew of nine men made the journey in a replica open 23ft wooden boat, built in Richmond, London by Mark Edwards MBE. Using traditional navigation and surviving off the same meagre rations as Bligh, the men were cast adrift 35 miles to the south of Tofua, near the Kingdom of Tonga. Their mission, to survive and safely navigate across 4000 miles of open ocean to Kupang, Timor. The group were led by Anthony Middleton, SAS Who Dares Wins frontman. However, British yachtsman, Conrad Humphreys, who has circumnavigated the world three times, was the Sailing Master of Bounty’s End. They all faced a never-ending struggle, where extreme hunger, fatigue, illness, conflict and stormy seas threatened to engulf their tiny boat and end their hopes of reaching Timor safely. The Bounty Project is now an exciting and inspiring collaboration between Conrad and The Island Trust, to support young and disadvantaged people with life changing voyages at sea.

See website

Burgundy

Burgundy is a Nicholson 26ft South Coast One Design, built in 1956. She’s a sloop with a fractional rig. She won all three races in the 2014 Sea Salt and Sail’s under 26 foot event and was awarded the Low Lee Trophy. Owned by Andy Tanner, she’s based in Newlyn, though had a little mishap with her mast this winter (it snapped!). Fingers crossed, she’ll be ready for the summer.

See website

Caupona

Caupona was launched in 1939 and is one of the early pre-war Laurent Giles Vertue designs, the 8th boat of only a handful built to this design. She is currently based in Dartmouth and owned by Richard Gregson. The design proved so successful that they altered it slightly with increased freeboard and a doghouse, to give more interior space and volume. Examples of these Vertues have circumnavigated the globe, one of the most well known Vertues, V35, was sailed across the Atlantic from Falmouth to New York by Sir Humphrey Barton, founder of the Ocean Cruising Club.  They have an unusual ‘slutter’ rig, a combination of sloop and cutter, which gives numerous sail combinations for different weather conditions.

See website

Donna Capel

Originally named Françoise Helene, Donna Capel has a fascinating history. She was constructed under German licence in Ostende, Belgium, during 1943/44. The oak was pre-war timber, originally destined for a boat about 90ft in length. This explains why, at 52ft, she is so heavily timbered. She was the last of the sailing trawlers built that worked out of Ostende during the war. Though, the first to be fitted with an inboard engine. Fished off the Belgian coast until the late 1950s, the record fish caught on one trip was 22 tons. She was then bought by Mousehole’s Howard Capel and towed by trawler from Belguim to Brixham. Here she was renamed Donna Capel after his wife and given the new registration number BM142. Mr Capel used the boat for trawling until 1970, when Terry Heard (Gaffers and Luggers) purchased her in Newlyn and took her to Mylor Bridge. Terry passed away before he was able to restore her, though she was restored by Martin Heard and managed Brest and Douarnenez in 1992. She was then bought by John Davison in 2000. With a strong-back and tarpaulins laid on, she spent the next six years untouched at Mylor Bridge. From 2006 to 2009, she was rebuilt and now sails as a stunning 16 meter Gaff Ketch, with 4 meter beam, 2 meter draft and is 40 tonnes in weight. She’s now based in Falmouth.

See website

Drekly

Drekly is a 16ft Randan Pilot gig. Built somewhere in Cornwall about 100 years ago, she was bought by Mark Edwards on Turks internet auction 8 years ago and fully restored. Drekley is now used as the workboat and general hire boat at on the River Thames, Richmond, London. She has been to SSS many times before and has been rowed in the Great Thames River Race by a group of guys from Mousehole. She’s now fitted with mast sail and sculling notch.

See website

Edith

Edith is a 24ft Polperro Gaffer and dates back to the 1890s. She has documented history of registration in 1909, as FY92 in the fishing port of Polperro. There she was owned by William Curtis (whose daughter was called Edith). In 1923 she was sold ‘for private purposes’ and purchased by Charlie Ferris in St Mawes. His family owned her until the late 1980s when she was purchased by Richard Toyne. The Toyne family, along with Falmouth shipwright ‘Minty’ Murray, restored her. She was sold on to the Clark family on the River Exe and returned to Falmouth waters when Bill Rogers owned her and fished her for oysters. Mal Stone purchased her in 2007 and is still the current owner.

See website

Elizabeth Mary

The Elizabeth Mary was built by Pearce of Looe in1908, for the Oliver family. She measures 26ft on the waterline. She fished out of Polperro for years, registered as FY28. She carries the traditional Polperro Gaff Rig with a loose footed main. She had various owners and was used for dredging oysters in the Fal for 10 years. Trevor Vincett, from Dartmouth, bought her and sailed her in local regattas, where she gained a reputation as a fast boat. Boat builder, Julian Burns owned her for a while before she passed to John Moody who partially restored her in his Salcombe boat yard. The present owner, George Dart, first saw her in Moody’s woodyard and persuaded John to part with her. He took her to Peter Williams’ Boddinick boatyard for re-planking and spent two years completing the restoration himself. She appears on the front cover of Ian Heard’s ‘Classic Boats of the West Country’, and also mentioned in ‘The History of The Falmouth Working Boat’.

See website

Ellen

Ellen, a 17ft Gorran Haven Crabber was built in 1882 by Dick Pill for the Willmott Family. She has a beam of 6ft and a 2’6” draft and is reputed to be the fastest Gorran Haven Crabber ever built. Her lines and Spritsail Rig are specific to Gorran Haven. By 1900, she was being fished by the Billings brothers, Dick and Andrew, who moved her to Flushing as there were too many Crabbers in Gorran Haven! She’s now permanently based in Mousehole and sailed by Cornish Maritime Trust members.

See website

Enterprise

Beer Lugger, mahogany on oak. Built 2003. 1956 Stuart Turner 1.5hp inboard engine

See website

Eve of St Mawes

Eve owes her heritage to the Pilot Cutters of the Isles of Scilly. She’s a rugged, versatile craft, built to withstand the rigours of the Western Approaches in comfort and safety. These little ships were meant to be fast, weatherly and immensely strong. Traditionally constructed in 1997 by Luke Powell, she has a sense of history within her solid timbers and certainly built to last. She’s been admired, photographed and written about countless times. Under full canvas from overhanging boom to bowsprit cap, she becomes a 51ft Cutter, able to set five sails, keeping experienced sailors on their toes. Eve creates quite a spectacle around the small ports and harbours of Cornwall, Brittany and the Scillies and is owned by Classic Sailing, St Mawes, Cornwall.

See website

Freya

Freya is 15m long with a beam of 4.5m and draws 2.5m. She was built during the Second World War on the Baltic Sea in East Germany and worked as a fishing boat for most of her working life. Once retired from fishing, she was converted to Gaff Rigged and coded for chartering around Netherlands and the North Sea. She is now a cruising liveaboard, owned by Andrew Mccloud and kept at Millbrook, Cornwall.

See website

Girl Sybil

(PZ 595) was built in Porthleven in 1912 by the boat building firm of Kitto. She is 35ft, plus an eighteen foot bow spirit. Originally named the Patricia, she worked out of Newlyn as a pilchard driver. Originally a sailing boat, later motorised with wheelhouse added. Early skipper was Bob Vingoe (GH). The Patricia would have been renamed Girl Sybil when the boat was acquired by the Vingoe family of Newlyn. The owner named the boat for his daughter. His daughter was the manageress of the Stevenson Grocery shop in the Strand and later married Arthur Gribble. She acquired the boat on the death of her father in the mid 1930s. He died on the boat at sea. The boat was then sold to the Stevensons who retained the name and continued to work her as a pilchard driver throughout the war years. The fishing boat PZ 476 Margaret was towed in by Joe Carr, her engines caught fire at Lamorna in 1940, the crew were saved. Billy Stevenson joined her crew when he left school in 1943, aged 15, when the boat was engaged in pilchard fishing. Bobby Jewell worked on the boat at one time, fishing for pilchards. She is now owned by Louis Goddard.

See website

Gladys

Gladys was built in Peel on the Isle of Man in 1901. She is 40 foot long with a draft of 5.5 feet and a beam of 11.5 feet. She was originally built for the herring trade and had a standing lug rig. These boats were called Nobbys locally. Since a rebuild around four years ago, she now has a dipping lug rig, more like the Nickys of the same area. Based in Penryn, she’s fast and graceful and owned by Charlotte Whyte. Gladys is still engineless.

See website

Grace

Grace is a 1925 wooden Danish top-masted Gaff Ketch, 77ft in length and originally built for fishing. She is owned by the pioneering Falmouth based mental health charity, Sea Sanctuary. The first of their kind in UK waters (and possibly the world!), Sea Sanctuary delivers programmes designed to improve people’s mental health whilst sailing amidst Cornwall’s stunning coastal environment.

See website

Guide Me

Built in 1911 by Peter Ferris of Looe for Mr. W Pengelly, she started life as a pilchard driver and long liner and fished out of various East Cornwall harbours. She was sold in 1966, re-named Guidez Moi (FY233) and then ended up in the Channel Islands, later to Portsmouth. Jono and Jude Brickhill purchased her in 1977. During the full restoration, they found her christened name Guide Me, carved into the original bulwark. She is now based in Gweek, Cornwall. This twin-masted Dipping Lugger is in a league of her own and powered entirely by wind (or oars!). She’s 40ft in length, though overall 72ft, with a 12’10” beam and 5’10” draft. Being a very fast sailing vessel, carrying ample sail, she’s generally out front in most of the classic races. Some might say this is down to precision tactics of the skipper and crew! In 1988, the Brickhills, including four children sailed via Douarnenez Festival to Spain, Portugal, Tenerife, La Palma and then on to Brazil. They returned via Cape Town in South Africa and then later back to America.

See website

Happy Return

Happy Return is an original 40ft Cornish Lugger built at Kitto’s Yard, Porthleven in 1904. She was the oldest registered fishing boat when the owner decided to decommission her in 1998. The Mounts Bay Lugger Association have totally retored her and regulary sail in Mounts Bay and to local festivals.

See website

Holly Mae

Holly Mae is a 35 foot gaff cutter, traditionally built by Joff Rorke of larch planking on oak frames. The design is inspired by the West Country work boats of around 100 years ago, though there are influences of Falmouth Working boats, Falmouth Quay punts and Pilot Cutters. The hull is deep, like a quay punt but she’s cutter rigged, more like a working boat or pilot cutter. She was built in Gulval and launched at the bottom of the hill in Penzance in 2010. Since then, Holly Mae has crossed the Atlantic, spending a winter in the West Indies and the last two years exploring the Baltic.

See website

Ibis

Ibis is an East Coast Oyster Smack built in 1888 and used for fishing until the 1930s. Afterwards, she was used as a yacht and found in a very neglected state in 1980, on the Hamble River. The Davies family set about rebuilding her; a task which has continued till now. She has been at most of the Brittany and Cornish festivals since 1988 and even across the Atlantic in 2004, skippered by Helen’s son, Spike aged 20! Here, she won the Spirit of Antigua Classics (2005).

See website

Island Swift

Island Swift is a 35ft Gaff Cutter (Wylo II), designed and built in 1996 by Nick Skeates and John Richardson. She’s one of the few examples of a modern Gaff Rigged cruiser, designed to sail around the world. She is easy to manage, safe as well as beautiful and purchased in 2013 by Simon and JoJo of Penzance. Since September 2014 the family (including two teenagers) sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to the Caribbean, via Portugal, Spain, Maderia, Canaries and Cape Verde. They made it back for 2016 Sea Salts! JoJo comments, ‘she’s a low tec boat, we do not have a fridge, radar, chart plotter or shower and we love using our lead line, Walker’s log and sextant’. When not saiing, they run Bash Street Theatre.

See website

Julitta

Julitta is a Pooduck skiff class lugsail dinghy, designed by Joel White and based on a workboat from Maine, USA. She is plywood and epoxy construction and was built at Totnes in 1993. Her specs are 12’8’’ LOA, 4’5’’ beam, 8’’ draft and a 84 sq ft sail area. She’s owned by John Scott.

See website

Katla

Katla, owned by Aidan Begbie, is a 26ft Gaff Cutter. She was built in 2006 in Portugal by Martin Lund and is of the Wynfall design by Mark Smaaklers. She has made two Atlantic crossings to and from the Caribbean and has recently been brought back to life in Penryn.

See website

Keewaydin

Built in 1913 by G and T Smith in Rye, Keewaydin is a Lowestoft Sailing Smack. She is oak on oak, 23.5m in length, 6m beam, 3m draught and is gaff rigged. She fished out of Padstow from 1919 to 21, with the early years mainly trawling the banks of the North Sea. In 1937, she became a cargo vessel sailing the Baltic Sea. During the Second World War, Keewaydin ferried refugees from Denmark to neutral Sweden and in one particular trip, transported 420 commandos to their destination. She was converted into a yacht in 1963 and had the distinction of entering the very first Whitbread Round the World Yacht Race in 1972. After being used for many years as a charter ship in the Mediterranean, she was bought in Malta during 1998 by Paul Welch, who’s still her present owner. She has now moved home ports from Cardigan to Falmouth. Keewaydin means the home wind, the North West wind. This is from the Longfellows epic1855 poem ‘the song of Hiawatha’. Paul wants to promote a more sustainable way of travel and carrying cargo. Last year, she brought a cargo full of onions complete with onion johnnies to the Cornish shores.

See website

Lady Blue

Lady Blue is a 16ft Jolly Boat, with 6ft beam plus a 6ft bow sprit. She was built in 1996 under license from Giles Laurent classic boats no 109. She is Gaff Rigged with all classic bronze fittings and in a lovely condition. Owned by Phil and Zoe Manley of Lamorna.

See website

Lassie of Chester

Lassie of Chester is a 36ft Morcombe Bay Prawner, built by Crossfields in Conway in 1937. She is one of the last “Nobbies” to be built in this yard and fished the Dee during WW II and later in Fleetwood. In the 80’s she was left in the mud but was then restored by Scott Metcaff in Port Penthyn, Bangor. She has had periodic refurbishment, latterly be the present owners. She has sailed extensively, taking part in Classic Boat events in Britain and France. The present owner is Arian Farey of Abergele, Conway, North Wales. Lassie appears in the list of Historic Boats.

See website

Le Grand Léjon

Le Grand Léjon is based in the port of St Brieuc in Brittany, France. She is a 48 footer, with a Breton Standing Lug rig and built in 1991 by Yvon Clochet of Beg Melen, River Treguier. She’s an exact replica of the 1896 vessel, La Jeanne d’Arc and in 1992, won the top award at the Brest and Douarnenez Festivals as the most authentically reconstructed vessel. She’s now used for charter and educational cruises.

See website

Lizzie May

A well-known writer on traditional sail and a former owner of pilot cutters, Tom Cunliffe, wrote of Lizzie May “To lay amongst these timbers listening to the sea rushing past is to feel seafaring’s lost heartbeat”. At 42′ long, she’s a beautiful replica of a pilot cutter of the mid to late 19th century, with her design inspired by the historic craft of the Isles of Scilly.

Lizzie May was the second creation from the acclaimed boat builder Luke Powell, originally taking 20 months to build her in 1998, then refurbished in 2001. Working pilot boats in the age of trading sailing ships had to have a reasonable degree of comfort below deck, so that the pilot would be fresh to take over a ship after spending perhaps several days aboard his pilot cutter ‘seeking’ a seagoing trading ship to see safely to its destination. Lizzie May’s accommodation, deck and rig are true to pilot cutters in the golden age of trading sail and her ambiance is widely regarded as authentic. She is a little gem, a lovely boat to sail, handles like a dingy, proving very smart in confined waters and easy to manoeuvre being so well balanced.

See website

Luke’s Minnie

Minnie was built on Channel Pilot Cutter lines by Luke of the Hamble in 1893. Originally a gentleman’s yacht, she spent most of her life in the English Channel but for one period of over 20 years based in Belfast around WW2. In the 70s, she cruised around Europe and the Caribbean, before arriving in the USA in 1982. She crossed the Atlantic in 17 days. Under sail she is very comfortable and as safe as one would expect with ten tons of displacement. She has a good turn of speed and has achieved first and second places in the Round the Island Race (Cowes) in the early 1990s.

See website

Maggie

Maggie is a 30 ft Polperro Gaffer, built in Looe in 1908 by Ferris for the Searle Family. She was later fished by Wren Jolliff who was the Great Grandfather of the present owner. Dave Cowan found her in Hey Bridge basin and she is now back after a 70 year absence.

See website

Moose

Moose was built in 1925 by Pearns and Son of Looe. She was originally known as Moby Dick, owned by Looe Harbour master and used for Shark fishing. She’s pitch pine on oak, 32ft long and a classic Looe Lugger. During WW2, she was one of many vessels commissioned by the MOD, to repatriate troops from Dunkirk. But only a handful of Cornish boats went in the end. She was converted to a Gaff Cutter in 1990 and from then, sailed extensively the West Coast of Ireland, Scotland and the South West of England. We’re very excited to see her now owned by a Mousehole resident.

See website

Pettifox

Pettifox was built in 1992 by Peter Martin and Alfie Hicks and is the last sailing boat to be built on the Isles of Scilly and is still registered (SC 139). With 1,000 sq feet of sail, she’s a 36ft Gaff Cutter with a good turn of speed. Owned and skippered by the very likable Johnny Barley, she’s used for day sails and chartering from the Fowey area.

See website

Rebecca Kate

Rebecca Kate is a 16ft Port Isaac lugger, built by students in Lowestoft in 2001 for the boat’s designer Martin Castle. She is based on the lines of a vessel sailed and fished out of Port Isaac by his grandfather, over a hundred years ago. She has a typical two masted lug rig with a bowsprit and boomkin. She is owned by Jonny Mills.

See website

Seascan

Seascan was built by the famous Scottish yard Alexander Nobles and sons in 1962. She was a research vessel and finished her working life as a fishing boat. She is larch planking on oak frames and is powered by a 6lxb Gardner. Owned by Rob Greenway.

See website

MENU