Zephon

Zephon was designed by Harrison Butler and built by the Probert Brothers, Swansea. The build started before WWII but as with many boats, this was put on hold during the war years and she was completed and launched in 1950. Until the late 1960’s she was owned by Mr D.G. Probert of Milford Haven. She is sail No. Z278. She is one of only 10 Zyklon class boats built as opposed to 52 of the Z4 Tonners. Her hull (pitched pine on bent oak) is to the standard Z4 design but she has raised topsides which hugely increases the interior volume of the boat. This alteration was designed by Cpt O.M. Watts and proved to be very effective. Sailed by Giles Gilbert (the present owner) from the Shetland Islands to Cornwall in 2016, since then she has been sailed around the Cornish coast and out to the Isles of Scilly. Currently sailed without an engine.

MENU