Devon Maid

Devon Maid is 30 ft and was built as a dayboat in 1914 at Beasley boatyard on the River Itchen mainly from larch and cedar offcuts from their steam yachts. She was one of the many boats sunk on purpose in either the Beaulieu River or the entrance to Lymington during the 2nd World War.  The cabin was added 1928 and an engine with a port-side wing propeller 1934. In 2010 cabin reconfigured for 2 berths and a galley. She has had two names before becoming Devon Maid: Winkle and Bingle, according to the 1952 Lloyds Register. She was found in the Alderney Race in 1958 by the current owner’s father, a Guernsey pilot, quite happily sailing along with no-one aboard. The owner had left Southampton and presumably had been lost overboard sometime during the night or early morning; Devon Maid had come down between Alderney and the French peninsular on the west-flowing ebb. Owned by David Bisson.

Okay, thank you
This website uses cookies, to read our privacy policy please click here.